Spring Asparagus and Green Pea Soup
This vegan green soup has all the fresh flavors of new Spring vegetables. Light and creamy, with a bright finish, it’s a perfect healthy accompaniment to any meal.
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz frozen green peas
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond or other plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat asparagus spears with olive oil. Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper to taste.
- Roast asparagus spears for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool. Chop into smaller pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté shallot and garlic cloves until translucent. Remove from heat if the garlic starts to burn.
- Add peas, broth and milk. Season soup with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Let soup simmer until it has reduced by one quarter.
- Add soup and asparagus to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, put soup and asparagus into a soup pot and use an immersion blender to blend it.
- Transfer blended soup to a soup pot and bring to medium heat.
- Add nutritional yeast and continue to heat the soup until it has the consistency desired. Reduce heat to low.
- Add lemon juice just before serving.